Sunday, December 2, 2018

A New Thing



On this first day of Advent, I find myself both ready and terrified to venture out and do a new thing. As I laid awake last night, I wondered if this was a good idea and what the pros and cons are (I am a STRONG Type A personality!). When I arrived at work, tired and still confused, I looked over at my bookshelf where I saw a plate which I painted with my very first confirmation class. Written over my attempt at a painted sunset, I wrote the words from Isaiah 43: 18-19 "Don’t remember the prior things; don’t ponder ancient history. Look! I’m doing a new thing; now it sprouts up; don’t you recognize it?"



This scripture is one which has carried me through the hardest of times -- a change of career, three years of seminary, and three job searches. When the world seemed to be completely dark, these words reminded me of the sunsets which I have always loved photographing. Today, the first day of Advent, these words offer me comfort as I step out onto a new path full of it's own challenges.


I absolutely love writing. I began writing at a very young age, in diaries which tracked every crush and every way I was sure my parent's were the worst ever (I was a teenager...). The diary evolved into writing short stories and blogs about my personal life, time of discernment in seminary, and finally into reflections on what I was seeing and experiencing in ministry with Union Presbyterian Seminary and through my year as a transitional associate pastor at Kirk of Kildaire, Presbyterian. I have even sent submissions to Unbound (a social justice publication through the Presbyterian Church, USA), NEXT Church, and Presbyterian Outlook.

Writing comforts me. I write to process and to de-stress. I write to pray. I write to share my voice, something I struggle with at times but if I tell my youth that they should, then I should do the same. I have thought, many times, about trying my hand at something more formal than a blog and who knows... maybe I will do that one day!

So, here we go... a new thing. I am venturing in a new direction and seeing what happens. There won't be a solid format here -- just my musings and reflections on life and ministry. In addition to those musings and reflections, I will share sermons, liturgy, and devotions. There will be no schedule but instead it will come as the Spirit leads... and I just pray that somebody, even just one person, finds a nurturing, encouraging, or comforting word here.

Here goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment