Monday, December 3, 2018

Living Worship: We Gather Together

The following is one installment in a series, "Living Worship". You can find an introduction to this series over in Congregational Corner.

Passing the Peace at First Presbyterian Church of Buffalo, NY

The weekly reunions between friends, sharing of prayer requests and celebrations, and introductions of new friends echo through our Sanctuary each week until the “Trinity Chimes” sound. There is something beautiful and exciting about a congregation which can’t be easily quieted for worship to begin. There are times that I love to just sit, close my eyes, and listen for a moment. Truly, the Spirit is moving already!

As I think about what it means to live my life as worship, I feel my heart swell as I think about the opening portion of worship each week. The hymns are typically uplifting and familiar and the communal prayer of confession reminds me that I am not alone in the ways that I mess up and in the incredible way in which God continues to forgive me.

Thinking about my typical weekday, though, this portion of worship might be a bit harder to pin down. Too often, I find myself rushing through the day focused on a computer screen and my calendar, missing those people who I pass in the hallway. I stare at my watch or catch up on emails in the grocery store line instead of enjoying conversation with the person standing behind me. I get frustrated with the other drivers on the road, convinced that the traffic jam is caused by the way they are driving and has nothing to do with my own driving habits.

In this first week of Advent, I find myself somewhat alone in my hyper-focused push toward Christmas. Thinking about the peace and joy which I feel while I listen to the congregation on Sunday morning, I am seeking ways to step away from my computer and put my phone in my purse. I wonder who I have seen and said “Hello” to, but didn’t stop to listen. I remember the strength which I feel when I recognize that I have messed up alongside my neighbor and that God is with each of us, even in those moments. I celebrate the ways in which I hear my voice among many as I praise God and give thanks for the ways which I have seen God bringing me to this point and to this place.

“Let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works,
not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.” 
Hebrews 10: 24-25

This is one of my favorite verses, and I pray that it will be a guide for each of us during this first week of Advent. While non-traditional in the realm of Advent scriptures, it reminds me of our call to stand together in community as we wait for the arrival of the Christ child, even in the midst of a hectic schedule and ranging emotions which are brought on by this season.

Join me in our Advent Call to Worship-filled Living…

You have called us away from our desks;
You have called us away from our phones.
You have called us to stand together;
You have called us to worship as One.
Be with us and in us;
Guide us and empower us.
Open our eyes to see your Light;
Open our mouths to sing your praises.

No comments:

Post a Comment